Sunday, 22 January 2012

Ed Wood, wood, wood

Today I have mostly been painting wood.
I have finished one plaque for a dear little girl, and have started another...here are some snippets until they are sent to their new homes.
As I start a new name plaque I haven't quite decided on a theme, and then the ideas start to flow as I think of the name, and I find it's not easy to stop and go to bed (like now at 00h13!). The wood seems to give a life to the paintings that I haven't found yet on paper. Perhaps their rough edges (well, smooth but shabby) are what make the difference. The wood is reclaimed from the family farm (my sustainability-enthusiastic sister will, of course, approve) and the paints have changed from the Reeves acrylics to the Craig&Rose 1829 range...mostly because they're not quite as vibrant and give a matt effect that acrylics just can't pull off. They're both used where necessary, but for these two plaques, the Craig&Rose won hands down.
I've another project on wood (shh, this one isn't actually out of the bag yet) to get started on. All at the 'thought' stage, I guess these name plaques are good practice for me...as this 'other' project is going to be something special x

'Til then, g'night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment